SKATE::WHAT IT IS

Its not a fashion statement, its not about being cool, its not just for kids, its not a fad, its not glorious, its not a chick magnet, its not a popularity contest, its not about being the best, its not something you should expect a lot from, its not about money, its not the easiest thing in the world, its not for the easily discouraged and its definitely not for everyone.

Its skateboarding. I’ve been on a board for 18 yrs and have seen many of its faces. From a real, legit, in it for blood skater its none of things above people try to mask it with. Skateboarding isn’t for everyone, its for the ones who wanna do something out of the ordinary realm of whats accepted in society.

The majority of the world doesn’t understand us and probably never will, i like it this way. I love it when people ask “Isnt that for kids?” my reply is, “Now, think back to when you were younger you waited so long to drive, now you drive everyday, to work, to the store, and you hate your car cause you spend so much time in it, skateboarding is the opposite, the more time your on it the less shit you worry about and the more fun you have.”

Skateboarding is a brotherhood, there is a unrivaled bond between us. Just think about how many people from all corners of this fucked up planet we live on are bound by one thing, a piece of wood with wheels on it. In my 18 yrs of skating Ive met some of the best people this world has to offer. I think its safe to say that 90% of the people I associate with ive met through skateboarding. This is the brotherhood i speak of, within skateboarding you’ll meet the real people, the mother fuckers that just get it, that understand you and wont judge you like 75% of the fake ass lemmings in the world.

The friends I have im grateful for, the homies that put me up on their couch when I had no where else to go thanks Robert Parrish, the dudes that drove hrs to skate a pool only to get bucked first run and have to split, the ones that laugh when you slam and are bleeding out of your dome, the homie Jason Miranda for teaching me rock and rolls the right way, all my friends that have supported me in my crazy ideas, the homies at Exit in Salem for the hook ups over the years, my homie Philly for hitch hiking to LA with me in Aug of 09 and skating 18 miles to meet up with another buddy, the list goes on and on.

We are a collective of outcasts that no one wanted, which is fine by me. I guess my point is that its about not giving a fuck and having fun with your friends. It allows you to let loose and not worry what the rest of the world thinks of you, most people will never understand what it is. Thats the best fucking part, cause as long as were here we’ll be hated, looked down upon, misunderstood and laughed at, so next time someone gives you shit for skateboarding laugh at them and remind them that they will never get it, and they should probably give up trying. In the words of Duane Peters "If you dont skate you cant relate."



AJ Omstead Jr
"Continue in forward motion and we shall meet"

Comments

Popular Posts